The Church Bells of the City of London

ALL HALLOWS-BY-THE-TOWER,
Great Tower Street

Carillon of 18 bells plus disused bell
Bass: 41-3-0 in C
Upstairs ringing room.
Formerly a ring of 8 prior to 1940.
Peals
Further reading:
"The Collegiate Church of All Hallows, Berkyngchirche-by-the-Tower" by David L Cawley.  RW 10th Dec 1971
"The Lost Bells of London (7) Other City Churches" by William T Cook. RW 2nd Mar 1973

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder
18 41-3-0 60" C 1947 John Taylor & Co.
17 27-2-19 53" D 1947 John Taylor & Co.
16 19-0-4 46" E 1947 John Taylor & Co.
15 16-0-20 44" F 1947 John Taylor & Co.
14 13-3-16 42" F sharp 1947 John Taylor & Co.
13 11-1-18 39" G 1947 John Taylor & Co.
12 9-2-2 37" G sharp 1947 John Taylor & Co.
11 8-0-2 35" A 1947 John Taylor & Co.
10 6-3-23 33" A sharp 1947 John Taylor & Co.
9 5-3-25 32" B 1947 John Taylor & Co.

8

4-3-24 30" C 1947 John Taylor & Co.

7

4-1-21 28" C sharp 1947 John Taylor & Co.

6

3-3-14 27" D 1947 John Taylor & Co.

5

3-0-18 26" D sharp 1947 John Taylor & Co.

4

2-1-24 24" E 1947 John Taylor & Co.

3

2-1-18 23" F 1947 John Taylor & Co.

2

2-0-22 22" F sharp 1947 John Taylor & Co.

1

1-3-17 21" G

1947

John Taylor & Co.
Disused 1 cwt approx. 169/16" 17th Cent. Unknown
Disused cwt approx. 14" 20th Cent.
18. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
S. ETHELBURGA, 675
17. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
ROCHESTER, 1148
16. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
COR LEONIS, 1199
15. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
LIGHTERMEN, 1432
14. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
SIR ROBERT KNOLLYS, 1407
13. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
ALDERMAN JOHN CROKE, 1477
12. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
DAME MARGERY HAYDOK, 1477
11. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
ANTHONY DUDDYNGTON, 1519
10. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
LANCELOT ANDREWES, BISHOP, 1626
9. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
WILLIAM LAUD, ARCHBISHOP, 1644
8. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
WILLIAM PENN, 1644
7. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
JOHN KETTLEWELL, 1695
6. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
JOHN QUINCY ADAMS, 1797
5. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
ARCHBISHOPS DAVIDSON, LANG AND TEMPLE
4. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
PHILIP CLAYTON, VICAR & FOUNDER PADRE
3. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
JOHN MCCONNELL, DONOR
2. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
POPERINGHE
1. JOHN TAYLOR & CO. BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947
TOC H FOUNDERS

The disused bell has a largely defaced inscription. Still visible are two fleurs-de-lys and the letter H.

The chime is hung dead, fixed and unable to swing, and is played by clavier. There is an automatic player attached, working on pierced paper rolls on the pianola principle. The fittings consist of steel deadstock, independent staples, carillon clappers, transmission bars, etc., and a clock hammer to the bass bell and an Ellacombe hammer on bell no. 11.

DETAILS OF THE EARLIER OCTAVE

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Treble

4 cwt approx. 28" E

1813

Thomas Mears II

2

5 cwt approx. 30" D sharp

1813

Thomas Mears II

3

5 cwt approx. 30" C sharp

1813

Thomas Mears II

4

6 cwt approx. 32" B

1813

Thomas Mears II

5

7 cwt approx. 34" A

1813

Thomas Mears II

6

9 cwt approx. 36" G sharp

1813

Thomas Mears II

7

13 cwt approx. 43" F sharp

1813

Thomas Mears II

Tenor

19 cwt approx. 48⅔" E

1813

Thomas Mears II

Clock

2 cwt approx. 21"

1760

Lester & Pack
1. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
2. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
3. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
4. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
5. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
6. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
7. T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1813
 
8.  
THIS PEAL OF BELLS WERE CAST & TWO NEW ONES ADDED 1813 BY VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS (border)
REVD. S. JOHNES VICAR JOHN NIXON THOMAS SEDGWICK CH WARDENS WM LINGHAM WM GARRETT

(same line) JOSEPH TURNLEY
WM MARISCHALL BRYAN CORCORAN. JAMES MILLS. JOHN LOWES WM FREME JOHN BELLAMY

(same line) COMMITTE. (sic)(border)
.T.. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT.
C. J760
 
 

HISTORY

1649

4th Jan.

A terrific explosion in Tower Street (which killed 67 people) shook the tower, which at that time had a short spire and contained 5 bells. A decision was taken to rebuild it as it was considered dangerous.

1659

The new tower was completed. It was designed by Samuel Twin (bricklayer). It was surmounted by a timber, lead covered cupola, being one of the few Cromwellian towers left in the country. It was of deep red brick in 4 stages reaching a height of 80 feet. Following rebuilding, the 5 old bells were recast into 6 and the Sanctus bell was replaced.

1760

The clock bell was cast by Lester & Pack.

1813

The 6 bells were recast into a ring of 8 by Thomas Mears at a cost of 370 over and above the 653. 12s. 0d that was received for the old bells.

1904

1st Nov.

Church reopened after restoration and improvements amounting to 11,000.

c.1935

The bells had not been rung for some years, so Gillett & Johnston installed Ellacombe chiming apparatus.

1940

29th Dec.

The bells were totally destroyed in a bombing raid. After the War, a new spire of copper was erected to the designs of Messrs Seely & Paget - the first original design for a spire in the City for over 200 years.

1947

The tower was judged to be unfit to carry ringing bells of adequate size, so a Carillon of 18 bells was cast by John Taylor.  This was done as a gift from Mr J. H. McConnell of "The Montreal Star", Canada.

1948

19th July

The bells were first rung as the Queen laid the foundation stone of the east wall.

1966

A disused bell from St Dunstan-in-the-East was moved to the crypt here.

GALLERY

1705, from DLC collection
This is an engraving from 1705.    
How the church looked prior to the bombing raid of 1940. Ruins of the church. (These pictures do not enlarge much.)
Photo DLC collection Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007
Following the bombing raid of 1940, the church was rebuilt. Bell 17.  
Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007
Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 18th Jan 2007
Michael Royalton-Kisch demonstrating the console. Peal board on the wall at the base of the tower recording a Cumberland peal
on the former ring of 8 bells in 1818.
A disused ship's bell at the base of the tower.