The Church Bells of the City of London

ALL HALLOWS, LOMBARD STREET

Formerly 10 bells
Tenor: 19 cwt approx. in E
Bells originally from St Dionis, Backchurch, Lime Street
Church demolished in 1938 and fittings, tower and bells given to All Hallows, Twickenham.
Peals
Further reading:
"All Hallows Lombard Street: SPAB and Demolition of Famous London Church". RW 3rd Sept 1937
"St Dionis Backchurch and All Hallows Lombard Street" by J Armiger Trollope. RW 10th Oct 1939
"Where the Towers no-longer stand" by Dickon R Love. RW 24th Aug 2001
 

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

5 cwt approx. 25" G sharp

1732

Richard Phelps

2

5 cwt approx. 27" F sharp

1726

Richard Phelps

3

5 cwt approx. 28" E

1726

Richard Phelps

4

6 cwt approx. 31" D sharp

1750

Thomas Lester

5

7 cwt approx. 32" C sharp

1726

Richard Phelps

6

8 cwt approx. 34" B

1726

Richard Phelps

7

9 cwt approx. 39" A

1726

Richard Phelps

8

11 cwt approx. 39" G sharp

1750

Thomas Lester

9

14 cwt approx. 43" F sharp

1726

Richard Phelps

10

19 cwt approx. 48" E 1726 Richard Phelps
1. R: PHELPS FECIT J732.
 
2. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
3. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
4. T. LESTER FECIT. HENRY BURT & DANIEL TAYLOR CHVRCH WARDENS. 1750
 
5. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
6. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
7. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
8. THOMAS LESTER FECIT. HENRY BURT (border) 1750 (border)
 
9. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
10.
RICHARD PHELPS FECIT fleur.jpg (998 bytes) + MESSRS IAMES HERBERT CHARLES BALL CHURCH WARDENS. J726.
 

EARLIER BELLS

After the fire there were originally 2 bells in the tower:

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder Fate
7-1-25 34⅞"

1723

Richard Phelps Transferred to St Paul, Southwark, then St John, Herne Bay, before falling apart.
Details of the other bell are currently unknown. Transferred to St Paul, Southwark and disappeared after the War.
1. RICHARD PHELPS MADE ME  J723
 

HISTORY

1516

The building of the church commenced.

1544

Tower completed. Much of the stone came from the lately dissolved priory of St John of Jerusalem near Smithfield, as well as the frame in which the priory bells had hung. Mr Warner, a draper of the parish, bought the priory bells intending to give them to All Hallows, but he died before the transaction could be completed. His son and heir refused to carry out the intention, so the tower was only equipped with one bell.

1552

Record of 2 bells, one probably being a saunce bell. The inventory also refers to the sale of 3 broken bells.

1666

Church damaged in the Great Fire.

1686 - 1694

Church rebuilt by Wren at a cost of 8,058 15s. 6d. Two bells (a large one and a small one) were placed in the tower.

1726

A ring of 10 bells were cast by Richard Phelps for St Dionis, Backchurch.

1732

Treble recast as it was broken.

1750

4th and 8th were recast as they were cracked.

1824

Record of 2 bells.

1879

The ten bells from St Dionis, Backchurch were hung in All Hallows. The Order in Council provided that the two bells from All Hallows should go to the new church of St Dionis, Parsons Green, Fulham., but the churchwardens disregarded the order and disposed of them to St Paul's, Southwark. The churchwardens at Parsons Green were not happy with this, but were pacified with a bell from St Michael, Bassishaw (which came via St Etheldreda's, Fulham).

1900

One of the bells given to St Paul's, Southwark was sold to St John's, Herne Bay, Kent for a very generous 20 where it was hung by Samuel Goslin.

1938

The east wall of the church was found to be unsafe. Despite the many petitions, the church was pulled down. The tower was dismantled and rebuilt on a new site in Twickenham where also most of the fittings were transferred. Other churches were built out of the proceeds of the sale of All Hallows, the first being All Hallows, North Greenford (consecrated 1941). The old bells were initially offered to the new Cathedral of Guildford, but they were passed over in favour of a new ring. The site was used as the head office for Barclay's Bank.

WWII

The church of St Paul's, Southwark was badly damaged and the remaining All Hallows bell was lost.

1951

The bells were tuned, the 8th and tenor recast and the bells hung in their familiar tower at Twickenham.

1973

The bell in the church of St John's, Herne Bay, which had been declared redundant, was rescued by the Kent County Association. It was however of such poor repair, it fell apart before it reached the ground.

1988

The 2 trebles from All Hallows Twickenham were replaced with new bells. The old bells were given to St John the Baptist, Windsor - this is therefore their 4th home!

GALLERY

allhallows_lombard1.jpg (16833 bytes)
The tower in Lombard Street was very difficult to photograph on account of the tall building surrounding it. Trollope's drawing of the tower. An old engraving

Now that the tower has been rebuilt at All Hallows, Twickenham, it can be viewed more easily.

wpe98.jpg (6325 bytes) wpe9C.jpg (15438 bytes)