The Church Bells of the City of London

ALL HALLOWS-ON-THE-WALL,
LONDON WALL

wpeB2.jpg (17299 bytes)

1 bell & 1 unhung
Tenor: 12 cwt approx.
Formerly a ring of 4 bells prior to 1764.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Unhung

2 cwt approx. 21⅛"

1766

Lester & Pack

Service Bell

12 cwt approx. 403/16" 1766 Lester & Pack
U THE REVD MR BEN: MENCE RECTR MILLSON CLIFTON & JAMES HARRIS CH: WARDENS. 1766 (border)
S LESTER & PACK OF LONDON FECIT 1766. MILLSON CLIFTON & JAMES HARRIS CH: WARDENS.
(same line) THE REVD MR BEN: MENCE RECTR
 
 

HISTORY

1455 - 1536 Published accounts suggest that there were 5 bells and a sanctus, including a Mary Bell (mentioned 1480) & Ave bell (mentioned 1510). The Little bell or treble (mentioned 1455) and the sanctus (1487 and 1497) and a sacring bell "before the rood" in 1495.
1552 Record of "Four large bells and a small one".
1666 Church escaped the Great Fire.
1708 Record of "Four bells to ring in peal, besides a small one".
1764 Church was demolished as it was in a ruinous state.
1766 2 bells cast. The smaller one was hung in the cupola.
1767

8th Sept

New church was conscrated. It was built under the direction of George Dance Junior.
1891

14th Jul.

Church reopened (according to the Church of England Yearbook).
1895 Interior of church was renovated.
1940   Church damaged by blast during the War.  The small bell was placed in the crypt.
1962   The church was restored.  The larger bells was rehung dead by Mears & Stainbank in the early timber frame.