The Church Bells of the City of London

ST ALPHAGE, LONDON WALL

Formerly 2 bells
Tenor: 14 cwt approx.
Church pulled down leaving the tower standing. The 3 crossing arches of the ground floor of the tower are all that survived the bombing.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Service Bell

14 cwt approx. 44"

1777

William Saville

Priest's Bell

3 cwt approx. 24" 1777 William Saville
S WM SAVILL LONDON FECIT. 1777 X JNO LOWIDGE & JNO HORTON CH = WARDENS
 
P [blank]
 

HISTORY

1532

Church originally built.

1535

Records about the sale of bells and framework.

1552

Record of 3 bells and a sanctus bell.

1564

The saints bell was recast (49lbs).

1613

Indication of 4 bells.

1638

A subscription was started "for repairing the steeple, making a turret for the saint's-bell, recasting the four bells, and adding a tenour." The weights of the 5 bells are recorded as are the 2nd and tenor of the old ring of 4.

1649

The whole of the upper part of the steeple was rebuilt.

1666

The church escaped the Great Fire.

1708

Record of 5 bells.

1747

The church had become very dilapidated so it had to be taken down and re-erected. The tower had become so unsafe that the bells could not be rung, so four of them were sold. It was resolved to re-equip the tower with "one tenor of 12 cwt and the saint's bell 3 cwt."

1776

The church was completed with a somewhat heavier bell installed in the tower. The bell chamber was given a frame for 5 bells. Two bells were ordered to be hung "one a tenor of 12 cwt, and the saint's-bell 3 cwt)". The service bell was hung in one of the pits, but the other four were not wide enough to have ever contained four bells of size large enough to have formed a ringing peal with this bell as the tenor. The pits were arranged in a row. The small bell was hung in a cage on the top of the frame.

1777

The church was much altered. The "12 cwt" bell appears to have been replaced with the current (slightly heavier) bell.

1824

Record of 2 bells.

1917

Parish united with that of St Mary the Virgin Aldermanbury.

1919

The whole church was rebuilt after damage in an air raid.

1923

Church pulled down leaving the tower standing.

1954

Parish united with that of St Giles, Cripplegate.

1966

Church rebuilt.

GALLERY

Photo DrL 24th April, 2004
The ruins today. The East Front of the church in c.1830.