The Church Bells of the City of London

ST AUGUSTINE, WATLING STREET

wpe9D.jpg (10377 bytes)

Formerly 1 bell
6 cwt approx. in C sharp
Church destroyed in 1941 leaving the tower only. It is now part of the St Paul's Choir School.

DETAILS OF THE FORMER BELL

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Single Bell

6 cwt approx. 32" C sharp

1830

Thomas Mears II
1 T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT. 1830
   

 

HISTORY

1552

Record of 5 bells and a sanctus ("five great belles and a little sanctus bell").

1666

Church destroyed in the Great Fire.

1680-7

Church rebuilt by Wren.

1683

Present church opened

1695

Spire completed to a height of 140 feet.

1824

Record of 1 bell.

1896

Record of 1 bell.

1941

Church destroyed in a bombing raid, destroying also the bell. The tower was rebuilt as part of the St Paul's Choir School.

1966

Spire rebuilt. The bell chamber now contains a water tank.

   
  The church in 1921
(from Spitalfields Life).