The Church Bells of the City of London

CHRIST CHURCH, NEWGATE STREET
(Christ Church, Greyfriars)

Formerly 1 service bell and 1 priest's bell
Weight: 22-2-20.
Church bombed 1940, Partially demolished 1977
Large bell scrapped 1960,
Small bell transferred to Christ's Hospital 1982.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder

Service Bell

22-2-0 50"

1851

Charles & George Mears

Priest's Bell

2-0-0* 22"

1825

Thomas Mears II

*Weight after tuning in 1982.

S. C. & G. MEARS FOUNDERS, LONDON, 1851.
THE REVD MICHAEL GIBBS, M.A. VICAR & RECTOR
MR ROBERT MILBURN
MR CHARLES F. WACE
} CHURCH
WARDENS.
P T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT. 1825
G. CLARIDGE
W. YOUNG
S. Buckingham
J. Rudge
}
}
C. C.

S. L.

} CH. WS.

 EARLIER BELL

Bell

Weight

Cast

Founder Fate

Service Bell

21-2-0

1731

Richard Phelps Recast 1851

HISTORY

1306-27   First gothic church built as the conventual church of a Franciscan monastery established on the site.  Franciscans wear grey habits, so the church was known as "Greyfriars".  It was the 2nd largest mediaeval church in London
1538   Henry VII dissolved the monasteries and gave the church to the City.
1687   Church completed by Sir Christopher Wren, without the tower and spire.
1704   Tower and spire added to the church rising to 160 feet.
1708   Record of one bell in the tower "wherein is only as yet one bell".
1731 10th August Richard Phelps cast a large bell and hung it in the tower.
1825   Smaller bell cast by Thomas Mears.

1851

  Whitechapel foundry records (daybook 21 August 1851) the purchase of the old bell weighing 21-2-20 gross (less 20 lbs for staple and dirt making 21-2-0 nett) @ 4/4/0 . A new bell was invoiced out on 30 August 1851, weight 22-2-20.
1897   Record of two bells in the tower.
1940 29th December The church was severely damaged in the Blitz leaving the walls of the church and the tower and spire.
1949   The decision was taken not to rebuild the church.
1954   The parish was merged with that of St Sepulchre-without-Newgate.
1960   The spire was disassembled and rebuilt.  The larger bell was scrapped by Mears & Stainbank.
1982   The smaller bell was tuned and hung in Christ's Hospital by Whitechapel.  The original Christ's Hospital used to stand next to the church and provide most of the congregation, but in 1902 it moved to Horsham.
1989   The former nave was converted into a public garden.
2006   The tower and spire were converted into a private 3 bedroom residence.

GALLERY

1814 1830 1838
DLC collection  

The bell that went to Christ's Hospital.

Christ's Hospital as it appeared with Christ Church in 1720.