The Church Bells of the City of London

ST DIONIS, BACKCHURCH, Lime Street

Formerly 10 ringing bells
Tenor: 19 cwt approx. in E
Anticlockwise
Church demolished in 1878
Bells and frame moved in 1879 in
All Hallows, Lombard Street

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

5 cwt approx. 25" G sharp

1732

Richard Phelps

2

5 cwt approx. 27" F sharp

1726

Richard Phelps

3

5 cwt approx. 28" E

1726

Richard Phelps

4

6 cwt approx. 31" D sharp

1750

Thomas Lester

5

7 cwt approx. 32" C sharp

1726

Richard Phelps

6

8 cwt approx. 34" B

1726

Richard Phelps

7

9 cwt approx. 39" A

1726

Richard Phelps

8

11 cwt approx. 39" G sharp

1750

Thomas Lester

9

14 cwt approx. 43" F sharp

1726

Richard Phelps

10

19 cwt approx. 48" E 1726 Richard Phelps
1. R: PHELPS FECIT J732.
 
2. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
3. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
4. T. LESTER FECIT. HENRY BURT & DANIEL TAYLOR CHVRCH WARDENS. 1750
 
5. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
6. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
7. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
8. THOMAS LESTER FECIT. HENRY BURT (border) 1750 (border)
 
9. R: PHELPS FECIT J726.
 
10.
RICHARD PHELPS FECIT fleur.jpg (998 bytes) + MESSRS IAMES HERBERT CHARLES BALL CHURCH WARDENS. J726.
 

HISTORY

1552

Record of 5 bells and a sanctus bell.

1632

Record of bells being rehung in the tower.

1666

Church destroyed in the Great Fire.

1674

The body of the church was rebuilt. 50 5s. 10d was paid to James Bartlett for a ring of 6, hung by Mr Allen (who was paid 10).

1684

Tower completed (although it seems that old tower was still standing while this was being built). The bells are likely to have been transferred from one tower to the other at this time.

1726

28th Aug

The bells were found to be out of order, so the vestry decided to exchange the existing bells for a new set. 8 bells were originally decided on with a new frame, but in the end there appears to have been money for a ring of 10 bells.

1727

The new ring of 10 bells was purchased for 479.8s from Richard Phelps. They were hung in a new anticlockwise oak frame. A chiming machine was installed to play on all 10 bells at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock every day. The clock struck quarters on the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th bells with the hour on the tenor, repeated on the saints bell.

1732

Treble recast as it was broken.

1750

4th and 8th were recast as they were cracked.

1876

28th Apr

It was agreed to sell the church under the City Union of Benefices Act and unite the parish and benefice with the neighbouring parish of All Hallows, Grasschurch, Lombard Street. This was one of the first churches to be targetted by the act. The bells were given to All Hallows, Lombard Street. The money raised went to restoring All Hallows and build a new church of St Dionis, Parsons Green, Fulham.

1879

The church was finally demolished and the bells were hung in All Hallows, Lombard Street where the story continues.

GALLERY

Trollope
Trollope sketch, 1939 An earlier sketch.  
 
  Church in 1838.