The Church Bells of the City of London

ST EDMUND KING & MARTYR,
LOMBARD ST

Photo DrL Mar 2002

1 bell hung for ringing and 1 for swing chiming
Tenor: 14 cwt approx. in G flat (1616Hz)
Never subsequently retuned
Frame: presumably 1675.
Unringable.
Rung from an upper floor.
Church is now a spiritual bookshop.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

14 cwt approx. 42" G flat

1675

Anthony Bartlett

S

2 cwt approx. 20" B flat 1739 Thomas Lester
1 THE GIFT OF JOSEPH SMART MERCHANT TAYLER OF LONDON 1675 . RECAST ANNO DOMINI 1739
   
S GOD SAVE THE KING.THOMAS FIRMAN DANIELL WALLIS CHVRCH WARDENS 1675

A

B

The stop on the Sanctus is a square containing a circle and a stop.

HISTORY

1292 Church known as "St Edmund towards Garcherche"
1348 Church known as "St Edmund in Lombardestrete"
1666 Old church destroyed in the Great Fire.
1675 A large and a small bell were cast for the church.
1690 New church completed by Wren with a tower designed like a lighthouse, ornamented at the angles by flaming urns in allusion to the Great Fire.
1739 Sanctus bell recast.
1864 Church restored.
1880 Church restored again.
2005 Church renovated and reopened as a Spiritual Bookshop.
Photo DrL 25th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 25th Jan 2007 Photo DrL 25th Jan 2007
The larger bell. The smaller bell.  
ASCY archive Photo DrL 25th Jan 2007