The Church Bells of the City of London

ST GEORGE, BOTOLPH LANE

Formerly 2 bells
Tenor: 6 cwt approx.
Church and tower demolished 1904.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder

1

19"

1674

Anthony Bartlet

2

6 cwt approx. 30" 1674 Anthony Bartlet

INSCRIPTIONS

tba

HISTORY

1552

Record of 3 bells in the tower ("Item in the stepell thre medell belles and a Lyttel bell")

1634

Record of a new wheel given to a bell.

1642

Record of a new clapper to the great bell and mending of a clapper to one of the bells.

1649

Record of 1.12.0 paid to a bellhanger for work on the bells.

1649-50

10s was paid to mend the wheel of the Saints bell.

1650

23rd Feb

1.5.0 was paid to "John Hudson for a new wheel to the great bell and other things".

1666

Church destroyed in the Great Fire.

1671 - 9

Church rebuilt by Wren.

1674

Church rebuilt.

1675

8th July

Record of 15 paid "by mony paid to yet Bell founder".

1708

Record of 2 bells.

1884

26th Oct

Church reopened.

1898

Church fell into disuse.

1901

Parish united with that of St Mary at Hill.

1903 - 4

Church demolished.

GALLERY

  c.1813 William Pearson 1830, G Shepherd