The Church Bells of the City of London

ST JAMES GARLICKHYTHE
GARLICK HILL
"The Royal Jubilee Bells"

Photo Dickon Love July 2011

 

8 bells and 3 clock bells  
Tenor: 9-1-25 in G sharp  
Ring of 8 never subsequently retuned.
Clock bells retuned 1988 Whitechapel
 
Frames: Ring of 8: 2012 Whitechapel
2 additional timber frames: Quarter bells hung dead in one frame, hour bell hung lever swinging in another.
 
Tower Stages:
1. Ground
2. Short room with organ blower.
3. Ringing room and clock
4. Intermediate chamber
5. Lower belfry with the ring of 8
6. Upper belfry with the clock bells
7. Spire with telecommunications equipment
 
Access: ground floor door staircase in south east of tower to stages 2,4 and 6.  Stage 3 is reached with a straight staircase from stage 2, stage 6 is reached by a ladder from stage 5 and stage 7 is reached by a metal staircase from stage 6.  
Formerly a ring of 4 prior to the Great Fire.  
See also "The Royal Jubilee Bells".  

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1

3-0-21 23⅝" G sharp 2012 Whitechapel

2

3-1-8 24¼" F double sharp 2012 Whitechapel

3

3-2-2 25⅜" E sharp 2012 Whitechapel

4

4-0-11 27¼" D sharp 2012 Whitechapel

5

4-2-11 29¼" C sharp 2012 Whitechapel

6

5-1-22 30¼" B sharp 2012 Whitechapel

7

7-0-12 33¼" A sharp 2012 Whitechapel

8

9-1-25 37" G sharp 2012 Whitechapel

Quarter 1

1-1-25 19⅜" A

1686

William & Philip Wightman

Quarter 2

2-0-17 22" G flat

1682

James Bartlett

Hour bell

6-1-14 32" D flat 1700 Philip Wightman
1

NICOLE MARIE KASSIMIOTIS

HENRY


A PRICELESS AND ANGELIC TREASURE,
HAPPY MEMORIES OF THE PAST,
JOYFUL MOMENTS OF THE PRESENT,
AND THE HOPE AND ASPIRATIONS FOR THE FUTURE.

ANDREW PARMLEY
MASTER MUSICIAN

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

1

2

KATHERINE

WILLIAM

TONY F. R. STOCKWELL

MASTER JOINER CEILER 1990/1991
PARISH CLERK HOLY TRINITY THE LESS
 

DICKON LOVE
PUT US HERE

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

2

3

CRACE

EDWARD

FORTITER
GIVEN BY JOANNA WARRAND
PARISHIONER AND FREEMAN OF
THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY
OF PAINTER-STAINERS
AND FREEMAN OF THE CITY OF LONDON

FRANCIS BARBER & GEOFFREY BROWN
CHURCHWARDENS

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

3

4
 

ANDREW

CHARLES VERDEN BETTINSON

QUI SERA SERA

VALERIE CROSS & GORDON HAINES
CHURCHWARDENS

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

4

5
 

ANNE

ST JAMES GARLICKHYTHE

THE REVD GUY TREWEEK
PRIEST IN CHARGE

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

5

6
 

CHARLES

PRESENTED BY
THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF
GLASS-SELLERS AND
LOOKING GLASS MAKERS OF LONDON

DISCORDIA FRANGIMVR

LYNETTE STONE & WILLIAM FRASER
CHURCHWARDENS

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

6

7
 

PHILIP

PRESENTED BY
THE DYERS’ COMPANY

DA GLORIAM DEO

WE RANG ON THE RIVER THAMES
FOR THE DIAMOND JUBILEE OF
HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

7

8
 

ELIZABETH II R

PRESENTED BY
THE VINTNERS’ COMPANY

VINUM EXHILARAT ANIMUM

THE ROYAL JUBILEE BELLS
RING TODAY
TO THE GLORY OF GOD

20

12

WHITECHAPEL

8

Each bell has a border round the soundbow of London Pride.
Q1.
  &

&

 

THIS BELL IS THE GIFTE OF WILLIAM DAWES 

 

  IOHN OLIVER FOR Ye USE OF QVEN HITHE   

 TRINITY PARISH
1686
Q2. THOMAS OSBORN CAPT. IOHN EDWARDS CHVRCHWARDENS 1682
Hour MADE BY PHILIP WIGHTMAN J700
 
The words on the treble's inscription band are incised.

HISTORY

1552

No record in the 1552 Inventory.

1624

The ancient parish church was extensively repaired and enlarged.

1650

An attempt was made to sell the 4 bells in the tower. This was unsuccessful and they appear to have remained until the Great Fire.

1666

Church and bells destroyed in the Great Fire.

1676

Foundation for new church, designed by Wren, was laid.

1682

Church opened for worship, being completely finished the following year with a west tower rising to 125 ft. One of the bells was cast, the bellfounder's bill being £13.13.0.

1686

Bell cast by William & Philip Wightman for St Michael Queenhithe.  (This was the old treble.)

1700

Bell cast by Philip Wightman.

1708

Paterson records no bells in the tower. This is clearly a mistake.

1854

Major restoration of tower and spire.

1875

St Michael, Queenhithe was demolished, and its bell given to St James'.

1988

Bells cleaned and retuned by Whitechapel, crown staples removed and stress relieving centre holes drilled.  The 2 trebles were rehung dead with the clock striking on the 2nd.  The tenor was rehung for swinging with a lever.

2012

A new ring of 8 bells was cast at Whitechapel.  They were originally hung for change ringing in a purpose built tower in a warehouse in Edenbridge.  The tower and bells were then transferred to a boat called "Ursula Katherine".  This boat led the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3rd June and were rung to a quarter peal and various other touches.  The bells were then transferred to St James', dedicated on 17th June.

GALLERY

Bells 1 and 2 hanging in their frame. Tenor bell.
Tenor in its frame. Tenor with lever. Tenor.
Old tenor wheel stored in the
3rd stage of the tower.
Board on the ground floor recording the restoration work of 1854.  
Photos of the installation of the Royal Jubilee Bells will appear here in due course.