The Church Bells of the City of London

ST MARGARET PATTENS, EASTCHEAP

Photo DrL 15th Aug 2001

1 ringing bell and 1 chiming bell
Tenor: 6-0-6 in C
Large Frame: early 19th century
Small Frame: c.1700.
Upstairs ringing room (formerly ground floor)

 

This is an unusual view of the church taking advantage of the demolition of buildings normally obscuring it.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS


Bell

Weight
(on dispatch 2014)

Weight
(2014 prior to retuning)

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Chiming bell

2-0-25 2-1-7 22⁵⁄₁₆ F sharp

1624

Thomas Bartlett

Ringing bell

6-0-6 6-0-22 31⅛" C 1768 Lester & Pack
C. THOMAS BARTLET MADE ME 1624

R.  

ST MARGARET PATTENS BEN: FORWARD EDWD. FARM TAYLOR CH: WARDENS ST GABRIEL
(same line) FENCHURCH CORRAD HARKSEN IOHN SHEPARD CH: WARDENS. 1768. PETER WHATELEY RECTOR.
The inscription on the larger bell is incised.

HISTORY

1552

Record of "one bell in the steple".

1624

Smaller bell cast.

1666

Church destroyed in the Great Fire. The small bell somehow survived it, or maybe the current bell in the tower was not present during the time of the fire.

1684

Church rebuilt by Wren.

c. 1700

Smaller frame built.

1708

Record of 2 bells.

1768

Larger bell recast.

1824

Record of 2 bells.

1923

Bells rehung with new fittings by Mears & Stainbank and the existing frame, which dates back to the early 19th century, was strengthened.

2001

Building work at the base of the tower necessitated the ringing of the bell to be done on the 1st floor (rather than the ground floor).

2009

Bells inspected and report made by Whitechapel Bell Foundry.

2014 The bells were removed from the tower, sandblasted, tuned, and rehung by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. The larger bell received new fittings for full circle ringing, while the smaller bell was fitted with an electric solenoid hammer. They were rededicated in 2015.

GALLERY

19th century engraving
 

Photo DrL 1st June, 2001

 
David Cawley attends to the bell rope on the ringing bell with the chiming bell in the background. This rope is all that remains from the set that used to ring the bells of St Dunstan in the East.

The church in 1920
(from Spitalfields Life).