The Church Bells of the City of London

ST MARTIN ORGAR, CANNON STREET

1 bell
Tenor: 15 cwt approx. in F
Tower rebuilt 1851 even though the church was demolished in 1829.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Clock Bell

15 cwt approx. 43?" F

1671

John & Christopher Hodson

INSCRIPTIONS

CLOCK
fleur.jpg (998 bytes) a fleur.jpg (998 bytes) a fleur.jpg (998 bytes) a fleur.jpg (998 bytes) a fleur.jpg (998 bytes) IOHN fleur.jpg (998 bytes) HODSON fleur.jpg (998 bytes) MADE fleur.jpg (998 bytes) ME fleur.jpg (998 bytes) IOHN fleur.jpg (998 bytes) BROWNE fleur.jpg (998 bytes)
(same line) WILLIAM fleur.jpg (998 bytes) BARTON fleur.jpg (998 bytes) CHVRCH fleur.jpg (998 bytes) WARDENS fleur.jpg (998 bytes) WH fleur.jpg (998 bytes) CH fleur.jpg (998 bytes) a a (sun)

HISTORY

1469

Record of a "rope for ye sauns bell, mending the bell, mending the wheel and a socket for the rope to run in."

1577

Record of rope for saintes bell.

1579

17s was paid to the carpenters for hanging the bells and 8s.4d. for mending the bell clapper and other work.

1580

A baldrick was supplied for the saunce bell.

1582-3

6s.8d. was paid for mending 2 bell clappers.

1583-4

A new rope was provided for the sanctus bell. The treble (of 4) was also recast by Robert Mot ("To Robart Moote for the newe castinge of our trebell bell and one hundreth of new mettall as appereth by Mootes byll, ?6.13.4")

1552

Record of 4 bells and a sanctus ("Item there is at this present in the stepell of our said Churche four great bells and one Sc'us bell").

1585

13s.4d. was paid for "work about the bells".

1594-5

5s was paid "for mendinge the belles the clappers the whels".

1630

Steeple of the church was repaired.

1666

The body of the church was destroyed in the Great Fire. The tower survived, as did part of the nave and these remains were utilised as a place of worship for French Protestants who continued to meet there until 1820. The bell survived but was cracked and had to be replaced.

1670

Parish united with that of St Clement Eastcheap.

1671

Bell recast by John & Christopher Hodson.

1820

The building was pulled down leaving the tower standing.

1851

The tall brick tower was rebuilt on the site of the previous one. The old bell was rehung dead on a beam at the top of the tower as a clock bell with its projecting clock. It is occasionally tolled at deaths by a piece of iron at right angles to the clapper.

1851

21st Apr.

The Whitechapel Daybook records "Churchwardens of St Martin, Cannon Street. Mens time taking down bells and frame at church & stowing do away, ?3.3.0".

1852

30th Oct.

The Whitechapel Daybook records "St. Martin, Cannon Steet, per order Mr. Davies 33 Gt. St. Helens. To a substantial English oak frame for bell, oak dead stock & ironwork, mens time making & fixing frame [mens' time detailed] ?12.15.6.