The Church Bells of the City of London

ST MARY ALDERMANBURY

Formerly 2 bells
Tenor: 5 cwt approx.
Church and bells destroyed in the War. The stones were moved to the USA.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

1 (in cupola)

4 cwt approx. 25"

1809

Thomas Mears II

2 (in chamber)

5 cwt approx. 30" 1675 James Bartlett

INSCRIPTIONS

1 JOHN RUTTER JOHN BRYANT CHURCH WARDENS. 1809. T MEARS & SON OF LONDON FECIT (border)

2

IOHN HARRIS CHARLES TODD CHVRCHWARDENS. 1675

Fig44.jpg (1423 bytes)


HISTORY

1437

The Lord Mayor, Sir William Englefield, gave 5 new bells (he "changed their bells into 5 tuneable ones").

1552

Record of 5 bells and a sanctus ("v belles in the steple one greater than another and a little sancts bell - vi beeles greate & small").

1666

Church destroyed in the Great Fire.

1675

Bell was cast by James Bartlet.

1677

Church rebuilt by Wren complete with a western tower with a cornice and pierced parapet, the angles of which carried many pedestals. Upon the tower was placed a turret in two stages, the lower containing the clock faces. Height 90 ft.

1708

Record of 2 bells.

1809

The smaller bell was recast by Thomas Mears II. The clock was supplied at this time by Moore of Clerkenwell (with four 7 ft dials).

1824

Record of 2 bells.

1897

Smaller bell noted to be hanging at the top of a wooden superstructure for the clock and usually rung for service. Larger bell noted to be almost disused.

1917

Parish united with that of St Alphage, London Wall.

1940

Church and bells destroyed by enemy action.

1954

Parish united with that of St Giles, Cripplegate.

1969

Site sold and stones sold to Fulton, Missouri, U.S.A.

HISTORY

wpeA1.jpg (30335 bytes)

Old engravings of the church.

The church, now rebuilt in Fulton, Missouri, U.S.A.