The Church Bells of the City of London

ST MILDRED, BREAD STREET

1 bell
Weight: 2 cwt approx. in C.
Church destroyed in 1941.

DETAILS OF THE BELL

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Cast

Founder

Single Bell

2 cwt approx. 22"

1673

Thomas Bartlett
1. WILLIAM SAVAGE. ROBERT ORNE CHURCHWARDENS 1673
 

HISTORY

1552

Record of 4 bells and a sanctus ("Foure bells and A saunce Bell").

1666

Church destroyed by the Great Fire.

1673

Bell was cast by Anthony Bartlett.

1681-7

Church rebuilt by Wren upon the old foundations. The tower on the south side was attached to the church by a short lobby. It was of 4 stages divided by brick bands, and surmounted by a timber spire covered with lead and consisting of a concave base, a square lantern with pilasters at angles, rectangular louvred openings in each face and a spire in the form of an obelisk with four ball ornaments at the base and a ball with vane at the top. It was 140 ft high.

1708

Record of 1 bell.

1824

Record of 2 bells, although this is in doubt.

1898

27th Oct

Church reopened.

1941

Church destroyed during a bombing raid.

1954

Parish united to that of St Mary le Bow and the site was sold.

GALLERY

DLC collection
  The church can be seen in this cover of a book.
It is the black tower towards the right of the picture.