The Church Bells of the City of London

ST NICHOLAS COLE ABBEY
QUEEN VICTORIA STREET

Photo DrL May 2001

1 bell
Weight: 4-3-9
Hung for stationary chiming.
Formerly a ring of 6 bell prior to the Great Fire.

DETAILS OF THE BELL

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Single Bell

4-3-9 29"

1961

Mears & Stainbank
        
MEARS

19

wc1951.jpg (2432 bytes)

61

LONDON

THE PREVIOUS BELL

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Single Bell

c.25"
(ADT: 22")

1727

Richard Phelps

HISTORY

1552

Record of 6 bells ("vj belles with the saunce bell in the steple").

1666

Old Church destroyed in the Great Fire.

1671-81

Church rebuilt by Wren with a north west tower with a spire of lead to a total height of 135 ft.

1708

Record of 1 bell.

1727

A bell was cast for the church by Richard Phelps.

1824

Record of 1 bell.

1896

29th Feb.

F. C. Eeles records one bell "idle, and has been so for about ten years".

1884

26th Oct

Church reopened.

1941

Church bombed in the War and burned out.

1960-1

The tower was entirely rebuilt above the first floor.

1961

A new bell was cast and hung for stationary chiming. It is hung on a headstock between 2 beams with a carillon chime clapper and independent crown staple and pulley.

1962

Church reopened after restoration by Arthur Bailey.