The Church Bells of the City of London

ST STEPHEN WALBROOK

wpeA8.jpg (13393 bytes)

2 bells
Tenor: 9? cwt approx. in B
The large bell is hung for swing chiming with a lever in the old frame, although it is rung by a side hammer on a rope..
The small bell is unhung, sitting in the belfry.
Formerly a ring of 5 prior to 1681
Floors:
Ground Floor
1st Floor - organ blower
2nd Floor - empty
3rd Floor - empty
Belfry
Parapet with spire
Access:
Spiral south east staircase to all floors, although on ladder access between 2nd and 3rd.

DETAILS OF THE BELLS

Bell

Weight

Diameter

Note

Cast

Founder

Service bell

9? cwt approx. 37?" B 1601 Robert Mot

Unhung Sanctus

2? cwt approx. 16" A

1761

Lester & Pack
Service

ROBERTUS

MOT ME FECIT 1601
 
Sanctus 1761
 

HISTORY

1475

Records mention a second bell.

1476

Records mention the purchase of clamps to let down the bells in the steeple, taking down the Lytell bell, for three baldricks of the "iij lest bellys" and payment to a chestyr for 3-1-3 of bell metal more than it weighed when it was changed.

1480

The 5 bells were rehung in a new frame. John Kebyll wheelwright paid for "tymbur and Frame, making and hanging of v belles" etc ?6.6.8.

1552

Record of 5 bells in the tower ("It'm five bellys and one small bell in the steple. Also in ye olde stepil over owre parsonage bene iij bellis, and hanging whelis and Ropis and al yt longith to hem").

1558

Record of 5 bells ("It'm five Belles and a Sayntes Bell in the steple").

1652

Record of "Five greate bells, one small Bell".

1601

The 4th (of 5) was recast by Robert Mot.

1666

The church was destroyed in the Great Fire, but it appears that the 5 bells and Sanctus remained undamaged.

1672-77

Church rebuilt by Wren with a tower and spire rising to 130 ft, although part of the tower is pre-Reformation.

1679

27th May

The vestry ordered that "the little bell be hung in the window of the tower next Wallbrook forthwith, for their better coming to Church". It had previously been suggested that it should hang in the lantern on the top of the tower.

1681

Vestry ordered "that ye fourth bell be hung with ye saints bells and that the other four bells be sold".

1761

A small bell was cast by Lester & Pack.

1824

Record of 2 bells.

1888

15th Jun.

Church reopened.

GALLERY

    The church in 1917
(from Spitalfields Life)
  The main bell.  
  The Sanctus, unhung on one of the three concrete ringbeams.
    The upper concrete ring beam.