Untitled Document
Temple Church
 

Temple Church, Temple


Photo: Dickon Love, 10 Feb 2012

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single bell 38" B♭ 1686 James Bartlett, Whitechapel

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

History

1185 The church was consecrated. It was originally the headquarters of the Knights Templar.
1307 The Knights Templar were abolished and the church went to the Crown.
1666 The church was undamaged in the Great Fire of London.
1686 A bell was cast by James Bartlett, as part of Sir Christopher Wren's refurbishment, and hung for ringing in its own frame at the top of a turret tower on the north side of the church. It is quite possible that the turret was built around the bell.

Views of the tower



Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011

Rather than a base for a tower, this addition was built to house the organ.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011

Pictures from the belfry


View up the spire.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011

Remains of the old bell wheel.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011

There is very little room in the belfry as it is only just large enough to fit the bell. You can see here that the bell used to sit in plain bearings, but has since been hung dead on a raised platform.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 27 Feb 2014


Photo: Dickon R Love, 27 Feb 2014


Photo: Dickon R Love, 27 Feb 2014


Photo: Dickon R Love, 27 Feb 2014


Photo: Dickon R Love, 27 Feb 2014


Photo: Dickon R Love, 27 Feb 2014

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019