Untitled Document
St Andrew by the Wardrobe
 

St Andrew by the Wardrobe, Queen Victoria St


Photo: Dickon Love, May 2001

  • 3 bells hung dead and chimed with Ellacombe hammers
  • Tenor: 8-0-8 in A♯.
  • Grid Ref: TQ318809
  • Frame: 1961 Mears & Stainbank, metal RSJs
  • Diocese: London
  • Building Listed Grade: I. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
1 5-0-129" C♯ 1961 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never
2 6-3-032" B 1961 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never
3 8-0-835" A♯ 1961 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never
Disused 8-1-1336½" A♭ 1420 Worcester Foundry Never. Cracked.

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

Prior to 1961

Bell Weight
(most recent)*
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Sanctus3½ cwt approx.24"G1853John Warner & SonsNever
Treble (of 3)4-3-2330⅜"C1757Abraham RudhallNeverWeights are 1961. From Avenbury, Herefs.
2nd (of 3)6-0-1832¾"A1837William and John TaylorNeverWeights are 1961. From Avenbury, Herefs.

* Source of weight figures: Recorded in 1933

History

1552 Record of 3 bells and a clock bell. [1]
1666 Church destroyed in the Great Fire.
1685 Building began on a new church by Wren with a south west tower of 4 storeys to a height of about 86 ft. The church was so named after its proximity to the King's Great Wardrobe, a mansion built by Sir John Beauchamp, and after his death in 1359, purchased by King Edward III and used as an office for the Keepers of the King's Apparel.
1695 Building of the church complete.
1708 Record of no bells in the tower.
1714 Record of no bells in the tower. [2]
1850 Clock installed (originally from Christ Church Rotherhithe).
1853 A bell was cast by John Warner and hung in the church.
1933 Three bells were acquired from Avenbury, Herefordshire (which was in ruins). They were retuned and rehung dead in the tower of St Andrew by the Wardrobe by Whitechapel to replace the Warner bell, which was hung as a Sanctus bell.
1941 The church and bells were damaged in the War. They were left hanging from a girder at the top of the burned out tower and lowered by Mears & Stainbank.
1961 The church was restored and the front 2 bells and Warner Sanctus bell were recast into a new set of 3 by Mears & Stainbank. The tenor was preserved in the church.
[1] (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
[2] "Rebuilt fo Brick, but the Corners are of Stone; with a large square Tower, eighty six Foot high; and it's now a large and decent Parish Church, and was finish'd in the Year 1693; but there are no Monuments, Bells, nor Organ in it." ("Pietas Londinensis Or the Present Ecclesiastical State of London", James Paterson AM, 1714)

The bell on the ground


The cross on the mediaeval bell.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 16 Dec 2009

The King's Head.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 16 Dec 2009

The Queen's Head.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 16 Dec 2009

The three bells in the tower.



Photo: Dickon R Love, 16 Dec 2009


Photo: Dickon R Love, 16 Dec 2009


Photo: Dickon R Love, 16 Dec 2009

David Cawley with the mediaeval bell.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 1 Feb 2007

The church


Old photograph.
Photo: DLC collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019