Untitled Document
St Augustine
 

St Augustine, Watling St


Photo: ASCY Archive

Prior to 1941

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell6 cwt approx.32"C♯1830Thomas Mears IINeverDestroyed 1941

History

1552 Record of 5 bells and a sanctus bell. [1]
1666 The church was destroyed in the Great Fire.
1680 Rebuilding of the church began under Wren.
1683 Church opened.
1695 Spire completed to a height of 140 feet.
1824 Record of 1 bell.
1896 Record of 1 bell.
1941 Church destroyed in a bombing raid, destroying also the bell. The tower was rebuilt as part of the St Paul's Choir School.
1966 The spire was rebuilt. The bell chamber now contains a water tank.
[1] "five great belles and a little sanctus bell" (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)

Photographs of the church


The church in 1921
Photo: Spitalfields Life

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019