Untitled Document
St Mary Somerset
 

St Mary Somerset, Upper Thames St


Photo: Dickon Love, May 2001

Former bell

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single5 cwt approx.29"E1678William EldridgeNeverTransferred to St Mary, Hoxton. Recast 1899.

History

1552 Record of 5 bells and a sanctus. [1]
1666 The church was damaged in the Great Fire.
1678 A bell was cast by William Eldridge of Chertsey.
1693 A Vestry minute refers to the purchase of a bell from Mr. John (sic) Eldridge of Chertsey, at the joint expense of the parishes of St Mary Somerset and St Mary Mountlaw, and agreement for future upkeep.
1695 The church was rebuilt by Wren.
1708 Record of 1 bell.
1824 Record of 1 bell.
1859 Record of 1 bell.
1866 The parish was united with that of St Nicholas Cole Abbey.
1872 The church demolished leaving the beautiful pinnacled 120 foot tower. The parish was joined with that of St Nicholas, Cole Abbey. The church of St Mary, Hoxton was built with the proceeds of the sale, and the single bell was transferred there.
1899 The bell, now at St Mary, Hoxton, was recast by Mears & Stainbank.
[1] It v belles of a ringe in our church steple and a sancts bell (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)

Pictures of the church



Photo: ASCY archive

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019