Untitled Document
St Olave Old Jewry
 

St Olave Old Jewry, Old Jewry


Photo: Dickon R Love

The former bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
111 cwt approx.40"1674Anthony BartlettRemoved 1888. Eventual fate unknown
Clock bell2 cwt approx.21"1823Thomas Mears IIRemoved 1888. Eventual fate unknown
Sanctus bell2 cwt approx.21"1675James BartlettRemoved 1888. Eventual fate unknown

History

1666 The old church destroyed in the Great Fire.
1671 The foundation stone of the new church on 12 Apr, built from one of Wren’s designs, was laid.
1679 6 large bells were cast by James Bartlett and hung in the tower.
1687 The tenor was recast by James Barlett.
1710 2 treble bells were added by Richard Phelps to make 8.
1775 The treble was recast by Pack & Chapman.
1930 The bells were retuned and rehung by Mears & Stainbank.
1940 On 29 Dec the church was badly damaged and the bells were destroyed in the War. The church was subsequently restored by Cecil Brown.
1943 The present sanctus bell was cast by Mears & Stainbank.
1957 The present ring of bells was cast by Mears & Stainbank. The bells were first tried out on 11 July while the restored church was reconsecrated on 15 July.

Pictures of the church



Photo:


Photo:

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019