Untitled Document
All Hallows Bread St
 

All Hallows Bread St, Bread St


Photo: ASCY archive

  • Formerly 2 bells, 12 cwt.
  • Grid Ref: TQ323810
  • Diocese: London

Prior to 1876

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single Bell41"F♯1733Richard PhelpsNeverTransferred to All Hallows, East India Docks
Small Bell24"F♯1761Lester & PackNeverTransferred to All Hallows, East India Docks

History

1552 Record of four bells in the steeple and one saunce bell and a clock striking upon one of the bells, and also a chyme fo small bells. [1]
1666 Church destroyed in the Great Fire.
1677 Church built by Wren, completed in 1984.
1708 Record of "one small bell to ring at prayer time". [2]
1733 Bell cast by Richard Phelps.
1761 Small bell cast by Lester & Pack.
1824 Record of 2 bells.
1876 Parish united with that of St Mary le Bow.
1878 Church and tower demolished to make way for warehouses. The bells were transferred to All Hallows, East India Dock Road.
[1] Four bells in the steeple and one saunce bell and a clock striking upon one of the bells, and also a chyme of small bells. (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
[2] "one small bell to ring at prayer time" ()

Drawings


Old engraving of the church
Photo:

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019