Untitled Document
St Katharine Coleman
 

St Katharine Coleman, Fenchurch St


  • Formerly 2 bells, 10½ cwt approx
  • Grid Ref: TQ334810
  • Diocese: London

Earlier bells removed 1921

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Smaller2 cwt approx.21"1749UnknownOnly after removalTransferred to St Catherine Coleman, Hammersmith, 1922
Larger10½ cwt approx.35¾"1741Thomas LesterOnly after removalTransferred to St Catherine Coleman, Hammersmith, 1922. Destroyed 1940.

Bells as installed at Hammersmith

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Smaller2-0-721"1749Unknown1922 Gillett & JohntsonTransferred to St Catherine Coleman, Hammersmith, 1922
Larger10-1-936"1741Thomas Lester1922 Gillett & JohntsonTransferred to St Catherine Coleman, Hammersmith, 1922. Destroyed 1940.

History

1552 No mention of bells in the 1552 Inventory.
1620 Old church repaired.
1624 Church repaired.
1666 The church escaped the Great Fire.
1703 Church repaired.
1708 Record of "3 bells to ring in peal".
1734 The old church was pulled down.
1739 A new church was erected from the designs of James Horne, surveyor. It was of brick and stone dressings with a tower at the west end. It was completed the following year.
1741 The larger service bell was cast by Thomas Lester.
1749 A smaller bell was cast, founder not recorded.
1897 Record of 2 bells.
1921 Church closed and parish united with that of St Olave, Hart Street.
1922 The two bells were retuned by Gillett & Johnson and sent to the new church of St Catherine Coleman alias St Katherine, Westway, North Hammersmith. This new church was funded by the sale of the City church.
1926 The church was finally demolished. The former churchyard's stone gate piers and railings remain on St Katherine's Row, where there is a plaque recording the site of the church. The churchyard survives as a small public garden owned by Lloyd's Register of Shipping. It was re-landscaped as part of the new development by Richard Rogers for Lloyds' Register in 1996-2000, and is largely hard-surfaced with two mature trees, raised beds, seating and a fountain.
1940 St Catherine Coleman alias St Katherine was destroyed by bombing on 14 Sept. The larger bell survived, but the smaller bell does not appear to have been rehung when the new church (now named St Katherine Westway) was built, with a foundation stone on 25 Oct 1958.

Pictures of the church


The church in c.1910.
Photo: Spitalfields Life

Engraving
Photo: Robert West, 1736

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019