Untitled Document
St Lawrence Pountney
 

St Lawrence Pountney, Laurence Pountney Lane


  • Formerly 3 bells
  • Grid Ref: TQ327808
  • Diocese: London

The bells (assumed) destroyed in the Great Fire

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Treble1631UnknownNeverDestroyed 1666 (assumed)
21631UnknownNeverDestroyed 1666 (assumed)
31631UnknownNeverDestroyed 1666 (assumed)
41631UnknownNeverDestroyed 1666 (assumed)
Tenor1631UnknownNeverDestroyed 1666 (assumed)

History

1536 -7 Record of baldricks provided for the bells.
1537 -8 Record of baldrick for the Great Bell and mending of the wheel as well as payments for funeral knells.
1552 Record of 3 bells. [1]
1623 Record of stirrop for the saints bell.
1631 5 new bells were cast and hung in the tower in new frames. [2]
1634 -5 Record of rope provided for the Great Bell.
1666 Church destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt.
1670 Church united with that of St Mary Abchurch.
[1] iij belles in the steple. Item ij little saintes belles (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
[2] The Steeple of this Church was new ledded, five new Bells were hung, and the Frames they hung in, new made. All the Iles were new raised and levelled, and the whole Church within and without worthily repaired and beautified, at the Cost and Charge of the Parish, in the Years of our Lord God 1631, and 1632. (A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, John Strype, 1720)

The churchyard today


All there is left of this church is the church yard.
Photo: Dickon R Love, 2002

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019