Untitled Document
St Michael Queenhithe
 

St Michael Queenhithe, Upper Thames St


Photo: ASCY archive

  • Formerly 2 bells, 18 cwt approx
  • Grid Ref: TQ322808
  • Diocese: London

History

1552 Record of 6 bells and a sanctus. [1]
1666 The church and bells were destroyed in the Great Fire.
1676 A new church was built by Wren, completed 1677
1708 Record of 2 bells and a sanctus, but also that the frame had spaces for 6 bells. [2]
1824 Record of 3 bells.
1859 Tyssen visited the church, noted two bells and recorded the inscriptions. He noted that the largest bell was cracked.
1876 The church was demolished. The parish was united with that of St James, Garlickhythe, to where the treble was transferred and hangs as one of the quarter chimes.
[1] vj belles with the saunce (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)
[2] "Frames for 6 bells, but only 2 and the Saints bell are up". ()

Pictures of the church



Photo:

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019