Untitled Document
St Mildred Bread St
 

St Mildred Bread St, Bread St


Photo: ASCY archive

  • Formerly 1 bell, 2½ cwt approx
  • Grid Ref: TQ322809
  • Diocese: London

History

1552 Record of 4 bells and a sanctus. [1]
1666 The church and bells were destroyed in the Great Fire.
1673 A bell was cast by Anthony Bartlett.
1681 The church was rebuilt by Wren upon the old foundations. The tower on the south side was attached to the church by a short lobby. It was of 4 stages divided by brick bands, and surmounted by a timber spire covered with lead and consisting of a concave base, a square lantern with pilasters at angles, rectangular louvred openings in each face and a spire in the form of an obelisk with four ball ornaments at the base and a ball with vane at the top. It was 140 ft high.
1708 Record of 1 bell.
1824 Record of 2 bells, although this is in doubt.
1898 The church was reopened on 27 Oct.
1941 The church was destroyed during a bombing raid.
1954 The parish was united with that of St Mary le Bow and the site was sold.
[1] Foure bells and A saunce Bell (Edwardian Inventory, 1552)

Pictures of the church



Photo:

The church can be seen in this cover of a book. It is the black tower towards the right of the picture.
Photo: David Cawley's collection

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019