Untitled Document
      Love's Guide to

The Bells of the City of London


  • Grid Ref:

Prior to 1967

Bell Weight Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Tenor (of 3)28-0-1753⅞"E♭1858John Warner & SonsNeverBroken up 1967.


1789 St Margaret's chapel was built.
1849 Building started on the present church built, William Butterfield architect. This was the successor to the chapel. It was opened in 1859.
1858 3 bells were cast and hung in a new frame for 5 bells in the tower by John Warner and Sons. Of these bells, Lord Grimthorpe (to whose specification they were cast) said, "Bells sound better in a large chamber than a small one. Anyone who has heard the Doncaster bells will hardly believe that the three bells of All Saints, Margaret Street, are repetitions by the same founder of the 1st, 4th and tenor of Doncaster. But Doncaster bell chamber is 23 ft square, and Margaret Street not more than 14, or just two fifths of the area." The frame was a lowside oakframe (the missing bells being apparently D and G, muscailly the 2nd and 6th giving 1,2,4,6,8.
1895 The church was reopened after restoration on 22 Sept.
1958 Mears & Stainbank inspected and recommended part rehanging with new ironwork and chiming hammers, either electrically or manually operated.
1965 Mears & Stainbank recommended recasting the three bells into a chime of eight, tenor 6¼ cwt in C.
1966 Bells inspected by David Cawley. He reported that none of the bells appeared ever to have been rung full circle probably due to fears for the security of this tall slender brick tower with a spire 200 feet high. Only the treble had any appreciable soundbow wear. This bell had angular canons and had a cast-in crown staple; the two larger had Lord Grimthorpe's Doncaster head with independent staples.
1971 The tenor was broken up in the tower by Mears & Stainbank, who rehung the other two "dead"w ith lever-clappers.


  • "Report on the bells", Clouston, R M C, Technical consultant on Bells for the CCC () 5 March 1966
  • Recent Peals
    The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
    2022-05-155040 Plain Bob Minor
    2022-05-155000 Fermanagh Surprise Royal
    2022-05-155088 Greybury Surprise Major
    2022-05-155125 Stedman Cinques
    2022-05-155056 Plain Bob Major
    2022-05-155055 Stedman Caters
    2022-05-155088 Barbourne Surprise Major
    2022-05-155152 Spliced Surprise Major (23m)
    2022-05-145040 Surprise Minor (7m)
    2022-05-145088 Bristol Surprise Major
    2022-05-145040 Spliced Surprise Maximus (4m)
    2022-05-145040 Cambridge Surprise Royal
    2022-05-145040 Bristol Surprise Maximus
    2022-05-145040 Surprise Minor (3m)
    2022-05-145160 Bristol Surprise Royal
    2022-05-145056 Bristol Surprise Major
    2022-05-145120 Spliced Surprise Major (4m)
    2022-05-145040 Lincolnshire Surprise Royal
    2022-05-145040 Surprise Minor (7m)
    2022-05-145056 Whichford Delight Major
    2022-05-135028 Friday The Thirteenth Delight Major
    2022-05-135152 Spliced Surprise Major (8m)
    2022-05-135040 Doubles (11m)
    2022-05-135152 Bristol Surprise Major
    2022-05-135024 Wembley Surprise Major
    Recent Quarter Peals
    The most recent performances, according to BellBoard.
    2022-05-161320 Ipswich Surprise Minor
    2022-05-161272 Norwich Surprise Minor
    2022-05-161320 St Frideswide Doubles
    2022-05-161320 Stamford Surprise Minor
    2022-05-151260 Plain Bob Minor
    2022-05-151288 Plain Bob Triples
    2022-05-151260 Stedman Triples
    2022-05-151260 Grandsire Doubles
    2022-05-151280 Lessness Surprise Major
    2022-05-151288 Grandsire Triples
    2022-05-151320 Bluebell Doubles
    2022-05-151260 Plain Bob Minor
    2022-05-151296 Plain Bob Caters
    2022-05-151282 Bristol Surprise Major
    2022-05-151280 Jonah Surprise Major
    2022-05-151280 Rutland Surprise Major
    2022-05-151260 Grandsire Doubles
    2022-05-151296 Little Bob Royal
    2022-05-151380 Doubles (7m/v)
    2022-05-151295 Grandsire Caters
    2022-05-151277 Grandsire Caters
    2022-05-151260 Doubles (2m)
    2022-05-151260 Doubles (5m/6v)
    2022-05-151280 Rutland Surprise Major
    2022-05-151320 Cambridge Surprise Minor
    Full list of peals on Bellboard here
    Full list of quarters on Bellboard here

    Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 16 May 2022