Untitled Document
St Michael Paternoster Royal
 

St Michael Paternoster Royal, College Hill


Photo: Dickon Love, May 2001

  • Single bell hung for swing chiming with lever (disused)
  • Tenor: 2¾ cwt approx. in A.
  • Grid Ref: TQ324808
  • Frame: 1968 Whitechapel Bell Foundry, metal.
  • Diocese: London
  • Building Listed Grade: I. Click for Heritage details.

Details of the Bells

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned
Single bell 2¾ cwt approx.21½" A 1892 Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel Never

Inscriptions

How the bells are tuned

Prior to 1892

Bell Weight
(most recent)
Diameter Note Date Founder Retuned Fate
Single bell3 cwt approx.23"1674John HodsonNeverRecast 1892

History

1423 Sir Richard Whittington, the celebrated four times Lord Mayor of London died and was buried in the chancel. The church had been originally rebuilt by Sir Richard, who founded there a College of St Spirit and St Mary, from which College Hill takes its name. His remains were disturbed in the reign of Edward VI by Thomas Mountain, the Rector, who broke open his monument in the hope of discovering great treasure concealed within. He failed to find any, so he tore off from the corpse the leaden sheet in which it was wrapped. When Queen Mary succeeded to the throne, this sacriligious parson was ejected and Whittington's body was again covered in lead and honourably interred, and his monument was replaced.
1666 The church was destroyed in the Great Fire, along with the 6 bells that were thought to be in the tower.
1674 A bell was cast by John Hodson.
1694 The body of the new church was completed.
1713 A tower was added, reaching a height of 128 feet.
1866 The church was restored.
1892 The Hodson bell was recast by Mears & Stainbank.
1968 The church, which had been damaged in the War, was restored by Elidir Davies. The bell was rehung in a small steel frame by Whitechapel. Its canons and cast-in crown staple were removed and it was half turned. The fittings consist of a wrought iron headstock, fixed steel gudgeons, ball bearings, iron lever, pulley and independent staple, all of 1968, and clapper of 1892 with a new top end.

Pictures of the church


The church in 1922.
Photo: Spitalfields Life

The church in 1922.
Photo: Spitalfields Life

The church in 1922.
Photo: Spitalfields Life


Photo:


Photo:


Photo:

Pictures from the belfry



Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011


Photo: Dickon R Love, 24 Nov 2011

Love's Guide to the Church Bells of the City of London Page updated: 13 October 2019